Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Furosemide (LASIX) / Diuretic
- It is a potent diuretic that inhibits sodium reabsorption by the kidney. Water is eliminated with the sodium. Its effects are noted within 5 minutes.
- Rales only from Pulmonary Edema which is secondary to CHF.
- Pregnancy (except in life-threatening circumstances), Hypotension, or rales from pneumonia.
- Severe hypotension, dehydration, and electrolyte depletion may result from excessive doses of Furosemide, especially in patients with pneumonia. Must be protected from light.
- 1 mg / kg IVP (maximum dosage 100 mg) AND refer to appropriate PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosages.