Foreign Body Airway Obstruction
Section 3 - RESPIRATORY
3.03 FOREIGN BODY AIRWAY OBSTRUCTION
- INITIAL MEDICAL CARE (2.01).
IF OBSTRUCTED AND CONSCIOUS:
- Cannot breathe:
- Abdominal thrusts as necessary or until patient becomes unconscious.
- Chest thrusts if patient pregnant or obese as necessary or until patient becomes unconscious.
- 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts for infants under 1 year of age. Repeat as necessary or until patient becomes unconscious.
IF OBSTRUCTED AND UNCONSCIOUS:
- Clear airway by visualizing with laryngoscope using Magill forceps and / or suction.
- If still obstructed and unconscious:
- 5 Chest thrusts.
- 5 Back blows and 5 chest thrusts in infants under 1 year of age.
- Look for foreign body.
- Repeat steps above.
- If unable to obtain airway after above attempts, perform Cricothyrotomy.
Monitor for cardiac arrhythmias and / or arrest.
If airway opened, support ventilations as required and transport ASAP.