Section 5 -MEDICAL
5.08 HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- It is imperative that the SAFETY of the civilian and emergency personnel be maintained while dealing with Hazardous Materials.
- PROTECT YOURSELF! Do not attempt to treat or remove the patient from exposure without appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Request response of Specialty Units / Haz-Mat Team.
- Maintain safe zone and assess scene from appropriate distance.
- Request information from Haz-Mat Incident Commander as to safety of approaching victims.
- After obtaining clearance from Haz-Mat Team and / or after the patient is decontaminated:
- While wearing heavy rubber gloves or two pair of regular exam gloves, remove ALL patient's clothing and place all materials, including the gloves, in a red biohazard bag.
- Irrigate patient with water.
- Advise Initial Receiving Facility of situation as soon as possible to facilitate early hospital preparations.
- INITIAL MEDICAL or TRAUMA CARE (2.01/2.02). Follow appropriate Practice Parameters for specific cases.