Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 15:25, 22 April 2020 by Treloars (Created page with "==Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES== ===ANESTHETICS=== ====Ketamine / Anesthetic==== '''DESCRIPTION''' * Dissociative anesthetic, Systemic. Schedule III controlled substance...")
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Ketamine / Anesthetic
- Dissociative anesthetic, Systemic. Schedule III controlled substance.
- Sedation in the extremely agitated patient
- Penetrating eye injury.
- Due to sympathomimetic effects, contraindicated in patients with known, severe CAD (for example, patients currently experiencing STEMI).
- Have ventilatory support readily available
- There is no known antidote or reversal agent for Ketamine
- Emergence Reaction - Read "Special Note" at RxList - Ketamine
- Dose is 2 mg/kg SLOW IVP OR 4 mg/kg IM, 1 dose
Onset of action:
- IM administration: 3 – 5 minutes
- IV administration: 1- 2 minutes
Duration of action:
- 20 – 40 minutes when dosed at 4mg/kg IM.
- 12 – 20 minutes when dosed at 2mg/kg IV.
- Hypertension, emesis, laryngospasm, tachycardia, bronchodilation, increased salivation, emergence reaction (12%).