Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Ketamine / Anesthetic
- Dissociative anesthetic, Systemic. Schedule III controlled substance.
- Sedation in the extremely agitated patient
- Penetrating eye injury.
- Due to sympathomimetic effects, contraindicated in patients with known, severe CAD (for example, patients currently experiencing STEMI).
- Have ventilatory support readily available
- There is no known antidote or reversal agent for Ketamine
- Emergence Reaction - Read "Special Note" at RxList - Ketamine
- Titrate to effect, starting dose of .5 mg/kg.
Onset of action:
- IM administration: 3 – 5 minutes
- IV administration: 1- 2 minutes
Duration of action:
- 20 – 40 minutes when dosed at 4mg/kg IM.
- 12 – 20 minutes when dosed at 2mg/kg IV.
- Hypertension, emesis, laryngospasm, tachycardia, bronchodilation, increased salivation, emergence reaction (12%).