Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Tranexamic Acid (TXA)
- Inhibits both plasminogen activation and plasmin activity, thus preventing clot break-down rather than promoting new clot formation. With massive bleeding this may help stabilize clot formation and decrease extravascular bleeding.
- Severe Hemorrhagic Shock or imminent shock.
- Strongly consider in non-traumatic major bleeding (post-partum, gastrointestinal, postoperative, nasal) with signs of shock or imminent shock.
- B - Safe in Pregnancy
- Safe in breastfeeding
- Hypersensitivity to TXA
- History of Seizures
- Ischemic event: Myocardial Infarction, stroke, pulmonary embolism (PE), deep venous thrombosis (DVT)
- Isolated head injury / subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Rapid injection can cause hypotension
- 1000 mg of TXA mixed in 100 ml or 250 ml of normal saline infused via IO or IV over 10 minutes.
- 20mg/kg (1000mg maximum) TXA mixed in 100 ml of Normal Saline infused via IO or IV over 10 minutes.