Section 7 - PEDIATRIC / OBSTETRICAL
7.08 NEWBORN CARE
Deliver infant according to EMERGENCY CHILDBIRTH PRACTICE PARAMETER (7.06), Note the TIME of delivery.
- Record APGAR Score (10.02) at 1 (one) and 5 (five) minutes.
- Continue to suction mouth FIRST, then nose of infant with bulb syringe.
- Suction only upon delivery of the head PRIOR to delivery of the baby.
- After delivery, INTUBATE infant and apply suction to the lumen of the ETT while withdrawing from the trachea.
- After establishing airway and warming infant, clamp and cut cord provided pulsations have ceased.
- Assess respiratory rate.
- Premie 40-70
- Newborn 30-60
- Assess heart rate.
- Premie 120-170
- Newborn 100-160
|RESPIRATIONS ADEQUATE/PATIENT CRYING||IF RESPIRATIONS SHALLOW, SLOW, ABSENT|
|Place infant on side in Trendelenburg position.||Assist ventilations with OXYGEN @ 100% via BVM.|
| Assess color and provide OXYGEN @ 100% via
NRB mask if central cyanosis present.
If respirations improve, provide OXYGEN @
|If respirations improve, administer "blow-by" OXYGEN.|