Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 7 - PEDIATRIC / OBSTETRICAL
7.07 CHILDBIRTH COMPLICATIONS
NEVER ATTEMPT TO PULL THE INFANT FROM THE VAGINA.
- As soon as the legs are delivered, support the baby's body wrapped in a towel.
- After the shoulders are delivered, if face down, gently elevate the legs and trunk to facilitate delivery of the head.
- Head should deliver in 30 seconds. If NOT, reach two sterile gloved fingers into vagina to locate baby's mouth. Push vaginal wall away from baby's mouth to form an airway.
- Apply gentle pressure to the fundus. If head does NOT deliver in 2 minutes, keep your fingers in place to maintain the airway.
- Elevate mother's hips.
- Place sterile gloved hand into vagina between pubic bone and presenting part with cord between two fingers to monitor cord pulsations and exert counter-pressure on presenting part.
- Cover exposed cord with moist dressing and keep warm.
Appropriate Obstetric Receiving Facilities
- Central Florida Regional Hospital (Seminole)
- Florida Hospital Altamonte (Seminole)
- Oviedo Medical Center (Seminole)
- Winnie Palmer Hospital (Orange) Call ORMC and transport at their directive
- Florida Hospital Orlando (Orange)
- Winter Park Memorial (Orange)