Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
- CYANOKIT® Antidote is a cyanide poisoning antidote. Upon administration of CYANOKIT® Antidote, hydroxocobalamin directly binds cyanide, forming a natural form of vitamin B12, cyanocobalamin, which is excreted in the urine.
- Cyanokit contains hydroxocobalamin, an antidote indicated for the treatment of known or suspected cyanide poisoning.
- Hypersensitivity to the medication.
- Most common adverse reactions (>5%) include transient chromaturia, erythema, rash, increased blood pressure, nausea, headache, and injection site reactions
- The starting dose of Cyanokit for adults is 5 g, (two 2.5 g vials) administered by IV infusion over 15 minutes.
- Depending upon the severity of the poisoning and the clinical response, a second dose of 5 g may be administered by IV infusion for a total dose of 10 g.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric specific dosages