Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Naloxone (NARCAN) / Antagonist
- It is an effective agent that blocks the effects of both natural and synthetic narcotics. It may be helpful in coma due to alcohol ingestion.
- Narcotic and synthetic narcotic overdose, altered level of consciousness, and coma of unknown origin.
- Hypersensitivity to the medication.
- May induce withdrawal. It has a half-life that is shorter than most narcotics, hence the patient may return to the overdose state.
- 2 mg IVP, IM, or ET up to 10 mg AND refer to appropriate PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosages.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric specific dosages
- Premie - 5 y/o: 0.1 mg/kg
- 6 years and older: 2 mg