Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Nitroglycerin Drip (NITROL, TRIDIL, NITROSTAT) / Antianginal
- Reduces cardiac oxygen demand by decreasing preload and afterload. Also increases blood flow through the collateral coronary vessels.
- Increased intracranial hemorrhage. Hypersensitivity to the medication. Systolic BP < 90 mm Hg.
- Administer with caution and only use a nitro drip in patients who present with potential Right Ventricular Infarction as identified by a 12 Lead EKG.
- It may induce headache that is sometimes severe. Patients may develop tolerance. Watch for hypotension. MUST BE ON AN INFUSION REGULATOR.
- Initial infusion rate is 5-15 mcg / minute. Titrate to effect.
- See appendices for infusion rate chart.