Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Vaponefrine (RACEMIC EPINEPHRINE) / Bronchodilator, Adrenergic
- Slightly different chemically from epinephrine. Stimulates both alpha and beta adrenergic receptors with a slight preference for the beta2 receptors in the lungs. This results in bronchodilation and a decrease in mucus secretion. It also helps in relieving the subglottic edema associated with croup when administered by inhalation.
- For the treatment of bronchospasm associated with croup.
- Epiglottitis, severe tachyarrhythmias.
- Use with antihistamines or tricyclic antidepressants may cause adverse cardiac effects.
- 0.5 mg nebulized via updraft added to 3 ml of normal saline AND refer to appropriate PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosage.