Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 5 -MEDICAL
- Institute if patient had a grand mal seizure PTA or is actively having grand mal seizure.
- Protect airway and protect patient from injury. Vomiting / aspiration precautions. Place nothing in mouth during seizure. Observe type, location and duration of seizure activity.
- Obtain and record blood sugar level and refer to HYPO / HYPERGLYCEMIA PRACTICE PARAMETERS, (5.10) as indicated.
- If current seizure activity lasting greater than 10 minutes,
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric administration. If no IV access in PEDIATRICS, rectal administration may be used, per Handtevy System.
- Observe patient's sensorium and airway during post-ictal period. Note any injury sustained during seizure and / or any incontinence.
- If febrile seizure, refer to PEDIATRIC FEBRILE EMERGENCY PRACTICE PARAMETER (7.10).
- If a patient has been treated for seizures, transport is not required if:
- The patient is stable.
- The patient has a competent adult that will remain with the patient for hours.
- The patient understands and agrees to the following instructions to take medication if indicated and call back if necessary.
- For seizures, the patient cannot have:
- repetitive seizures
- an unusual seizure for the patient
- New onset of seizures
- Any Questions, refer to REFUSAL OF SERVICE PRACTICE PARAMETER (1.03)