Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
- It provides bicarbonate to assist the buffer system in reducing the effects of acidosis.
- None when used in severe hypoxia or late Cardiac Arrest.
- May cause alkalosis if administered too aggressively.
- It may also deactivate vasopressors, and may precipitate with Calcium Chloride.
- Refer to appropriate PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosages AND per physician's orders.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric dosage.