Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Levalbuterol (XOPENEX) / Beta2-Adrenergic Receptor Agonist / Bronchodilator
- Xopenex (levalbuterol HCl) Inhalation Solution is a sterile, clear, colorless, preservative-free solution of the hydrochloride salt of levalbuterol, the (R)-enantiomer of the drug substance racemic albuterol. Levalbuterol HCl is a relatively selective beta2-adrenergic receptor agonist
- For the treatment of bronchospasm associated with asthma or COPD with wheezing.
- Xopenex (levalbuterol HCl) Inhalation Solution is contraindicated in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to levalbuterol HCl or racemic albuterol.
- Levalbuterol HCl, like all sympathomimetic amines, should be used with caution in patients with cardiovascular disorders, especially coronary insufficiency, hypertension, and cardiac arrhythmias; in patients with convulsive disorders, hyperthyroidism, or diabetes mellitus; and in patients who are unusually responsive to sympathomimetic amines.
- Use with Beta-blockers, diuretics, Digoxin, antihistamines or tricyclic antidepressants may cause adverse cardiac effects.
- Adults: 1.25 mg nebulized via updraft
- Pediatrics: refer to Handtevy System
- Less than 6 years of age: 0.31 mg nebulized via updraft added to 2.5 ml of normal saline
- 6 years and older: 0.63 mg nebulized via updraft added to 2.5 ml of normal saline