Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Ondansetron Hydrochloride (ZOFRAN) / Antiemetic
- This medication is used to prevent or decrease the severity of nausea and vomiting.
- Blocks the effects of the hormone serotonin at the 5-HT3 -receptor sites (located in the vagal nerve terminals) that cause vomiting.
- Half-life 3.5 - 5.5 hr
- Severe, persistent vomiting.
- Known hypersensitivity.
- Patients with liver impairment
- Pregnancy-Category B- Studies have revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus.
- May cause an extrapyramidal reaction.
- Little information is available about dosage in pediatric patients under 2 years of age.
- Currently supplied in 4mg/2ml vials and 4 mg oral disintegrating tablets (ODT)
- Adult: 4mg slow IVP or 1 ODT tab.
- When administering IV, consider diluting in 10-20 ml normal saline to aid in administering slowly or 4mg/2ml deep IM in a large muscle.
- Premie - 8 years old - ADMINISTER 0.15 mg/kg slow IVP (mag of 4 mg)
- 9 years and older - 4 mg slow IVP
- For PO administration:
- 1-3 year old – ADMINISTER ½ ODT tab
- 4 years and older: ADMINISTER 1 ODT tab
- NOTE: Use PO administration route for conscious patients ONLY.