Altered Mental Status (AMS)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 5 -MEDICAL 5.03
ALTERED MENTAL STATUS (AMS)
AMS is defined as an alteration in either the patient’s LOC or Orientation
INITIAL MEDICAL CARE (2.01) - Provide OXYGEN or assist ventilations as appropriate for patient condition.
- C-spine precautions as indicated.
- Obtain and record blood sugar level.
- Draw blood tubes, if available.
- If hypotensive, refer to SHOCK PRACTICE PARAMETER (5.13).
- If blood sugar < 100, DEXTROSE 50% OR DEXTROSE 10% 25 gm IVP.
- If no response and a narcotic overdose is suspected:
- An adult patient’s weight is < 50 kg, Titrate NALOXONE (NARCAN) to effect, not to exceed 6 mg.
- An adult patient’s weight is > 50 kg, Titrate NALOXONE (NARCAN) to effect, not to exceed 10 mg.
- Note: Only administer enough NALOXONE (NARCAN) to improve respiratory effort if decreased, it is not necessary to reverse the altered mental status. Consider soft restraints for the patient suspected of a narcotic overdose.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric administration of NALOXONE (NARCAN).