Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Amiodarone / Antiarrhythmic
- Class III antidysrhythmic that prolongs the cardiac action potential and repolarization phase of the cardiac cycle. It shows beta-blocker and potassium channel blocker properties thus reducing dysrhythmias. It has complex drug effects on sodium and potassium.
- Sinus bradycardia, AV blocks.
- Not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers.
- Multiple drug interactions – interacts with digoxin, warfarin, phenytoin.
- When given concurrently with simvastatin (cholesterol drugs) it increases the risk for rhabdomyolysis and renal failure.
- VF/VT – 300 mg IVP, IO. May repeat once with 150 mg IVP, IO if dysrhythmia is not suppressed with initial dose.
- VT with a pulse – 150 mg diluted in 50 ml (Buretrol) over 10 minutes.
- Pediatric - Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric specific dosage.
- VF/VT - 5 mg/kg, can repeat dose in 5 mg/kg doses to max of 15 mg/kg total dose.