Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 8 - MEDICATION GUIDELINES
Lidocaine 2% (XYLOCAINE) / Antidysrrhythmic
- Lidocaine is an agent that increases the fibrillation threshold thereby reducing the development of ectopy and Ventricular Fibrillation.
- More than 6 unifocal PVCs / minute, multifocal PVCs, R on T phenomenon, couplets, runs of PVCs, Ventricular Tachycardia, and in V-Fib/Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia.
- May be used to enhance RSI in head injuries and may be useful in seizures caused by head injuries.
- 2nd degree Mobitz II and 3rd Degree Heart Blocks and bradycardias.
- Side effects include: lowering LOC, confusion, irritability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and possibly death.
- 0.5 - 1.5 mg / kg AND refer to appropriate PRACTICE PARAMETER for specific dosages.
- Refer to Handtevy System for pediatric specific dosage.