Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (PIH)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Section 7 - PEDIATRIC / OBSTETRICAL
7.04 PREGNANCY INDUCED HYPERTENSION (PIH)
INITIAL MEDICAL CARE (2.01). OXYGEN @100% via NRB mask or assist with BVM.
- Seizure precautions.
- GENTLE HANDLING. Minimal CNS stimulation.
- Position patient on left side or raise right side of backboard approximately 30 degrees.
- For systolic BP > 160 on two readings,
- Administer MAGNESIUM SULFATE 4-6 gm IV added to 100cc NaCL using a dial-a-flow or buretrol over 10 minutes.
- If seizure occurs and the pt is hypertensive, refer to SEIZURE PRACTICE PARAMETER (5.12). Treat with VALIUM and call for orders on administration of MAGNESIUM SULFATE 4 gm IV over 30 minutes after seizure is controlled.